This Brussels Sprout Salad is so crisp and refreshing. Super simple and easy to make. Perfect as a light meal or a good vegetarian side to any dinner table. Ideal to be made ahead of time and sealed in a zip top bag in the fridge, will last 2-3 days.
• 1/2 pound/ 8 ounce or 6-7 Brussels Sprouts prepared in one of the ways below
• 1/4 cup Pomegranate seeds, optional
• 2 tbsp Walnuts Chopped or whole
• 1/4 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
• 1 tbsp Pistachio chopped
• 1 cup hemp hearts, these do not need to be cooked, use straight from the bag.
You can add the nuts of your choice but that could alter the nutritional values.
Hemp hearts can be obtained from GrapeTree, Amazon and vegan shops. They are high protein and high fibre. They have a really nice nutty taste.
How to prep Brussels Sprouts for the Salad?
• First and foremost, wash the Brussel sprouts well in cold running water. Then remove the specked and/or limped top layer of Brussel sprouts. Further remove the thick stem part of the sprouts. Pat them dry with a kitchen paper towel.
How to shave brussel sprouts?
• There are 3 ways to shave Brussels sprouts. Once done, set these aside in a salad bowl.
• Mandoline Slicer – If you have a good sharp Mandoline slicer, then use that to shred or shave the sprouts.
• Sharp Knife – Now this gadget is my best friend. I use my simple kitchen knife to shave or slice the brussels sprout very thin for the salad. The thinner the shreds, the more flavors these will absorb.
• Food processor – Yes you can use your food processor and shred them. These won’t look like shavings but would be good to use.
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
• Take a Salad Bowl and add shaved brussel sprouts, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, & chopped nuts. Add hemp hearts at this point.
• Further add 4 -5 tbsp your preferred low carb dressing, if you want to store and use over a few days only add dressing to what you are using at that time. Without dressing the salad will last longer and not go soggy. Use salad tongs and mix the salad well.
• Let it sit for 15-20 minutes before serving for best results. If it sits for a bit, it will absorb the flavors well and taste amazing.
Top with crumbled crisp bacon
Stir in leftover cooked chicken
Stir in cubed cheese
Cubed or shredded ham
The salad picture contains finely chopped tomato flesh, not the seedy bit, and sliced olives
Serving: 4people | Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Fibre: 2g