The weather’s getting colder so I think it’s soup time. One of my favourites has always been Cream of Chicken but this one has a few extra things in but the taste and texture are dreamy, even if I say so myself. I like it lumpy but if you prefer a smooth soup get the stick blender out.
Cream of chicken and mushroom soup
• 1 pound (455g) chicken (boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs) , cut into small bite sized pieces
• 8 oz – (226g) whole mushrooms
• 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
• 1/2 onion or 1 small leek, diced/sliced
• 2 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper , or to taste
• 1/4 cup chopped Fresh basil or to taste
• 4 cups (960ml) chicken stock
• 3/4 cup (180ml) cream (or half & half or milk)
• 2-3 tsp arrowroot powder dissolved in 2 tbsp milk of your choice
1. Slice mushrooms. Set aside.
2. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and then add oil. Stir in onions/leeks and garlic and cook until softened
3. Add chicken and cook chicken for about 3-4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, basil and mushrooms. Stir and cook until mushrooms become soft.
4. Add chicken broth and cream to the soup. Stir together with chicken and bring to boil, then immediately lower heat to a simmer.
5. Simmer soup for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked, mix arrowroot with milk and stir until fully combined. Pour mixture into the soup and stir until thickened. Add additional salt to taste
6. If you want this to be a smooth soup wizz with a stick blender to desired texture then reheat, this may thicken soup a little more.