My partner lamented not having Yorkshire pudding with their Sunday dinner so I tried these today with some leftover Goulash I am now very much in their good books. The original recipe used Cassava Flour and I have substituted that with arrowroot powder, I also used lard which is more traditional. They do deflate a bit coming out of the oven but if you are brave an get them really crispy they don’t deflate as much. Next step try to make Toad in the Hole.
• 3 large eggs
• 120 ml/1/4 cup almond or other non dairy milk
• 35g/1/4 cup arrowroot powder
• 60-70g/2-3oz butter melted & divided (or you could use lard)
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp sage (optional) or any herb you want for flavouring
• 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 200c/400f with muffin pan or square baking pan inside the oven to preheat as well.
2. Mix eggs, milk, arrowroot starch, sea salt and 1/2 the melted butter to make a thin batter.
3. Pour the remaining melted butter into the hot muffin/baking pan and return to the oven until the butter is sizzling
4. Remove pan from the oven and pour in mixed batter dividing between muffin cups
5. Bake for 15-25 minutes. Will puff and brown on the edges, center will be set. Muffins take around 15-20 minutes, square pan takes about 20-25 minutes.
Net carbs 2.3g