I saw a tomato and red pepper soup on line (peaceloveandlowcarb.com). I tried it, it was really nice, but I thought it could do with a bit of spice and heat. So I fiddled around with it a little and came up with this;
Smokey And Hot Tomato, Red Pepper and Gouda Soup
- 2 cans of tomatoes (450g)
- 3 red peppers, roasted and skinned
- 1-2 red chillis of your choice, depending on how hot you want it
- 750ml/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 250g/8 oz smoked gouda cheese, grated, plus a little extra for garnish
- 125ml/½ cup double/heavy cream
- If you want a bit more heat you could add a little cayenne pepper
- A little flat leaf parsley or fresh basil for garnish
- Heat your slow cooker on low setting.
- Add the tomatoes, red peppers, chilli, chicken stock, tomato paste, basil, smoked paprika, sea salt, oregano, and black pepper to the slow cooker, combine them a little.
- In a pan, over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter until soft and translucent. – About 10 minutes.
- Add Sautéed onions to the slow cooker, mix in, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. This can also be done using an stick blender.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, stir in heavy cream and Gouda cheese. Cover and cook for an hour.
- Garnish with more grated Gouda and a little chopped flat leaf parsley or fresh basil.
- Serve or bag up in serving sizes to freeze for a later date.
Just thinking you could also chill this as a Gazpacho