I totally love Christmas cake and the icing but hate marzipan so tend to spend Christmas dissecting the cake before I eat it. A long time ago an Aunt used to make our Christmas cakes with an almond free marzipan, sadly this recipe died with her, so if anyone has a recipe for one that is also low carb I will be eternally grateful.
LOW CARB BOOZY CHRISTMAS CAKE
240g/1 ½ cup dried fruit, chopped (I used 80g/1/2 cup dried cranberries, 80g/1/2 cup dried sour cherries, 80g/1/2 cup dried dates/figs)
250ml/1 cup rum (dark or spiced, dark will add a stronger flavour and darker colour cake), if you don’t want to use alcohol you can use strong brewed tea.
40g/1/3 cup pistachios, chopped (you could use walnuts or pistachios as a substitute)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest
A few drops of vanilla Stevia (optional)
180g/1 ½ cup almond flour40g/1/3 cup coconut flour
1-2 tsp mixed spice (optional)
1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice (adjust this to your personal taste)1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Add the fruit, rum, pistachios and zest to an air-tight container. Let this mixture soak at least overnight.
2. Add the rum-soaked dried fruit mixture to a saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer for 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool. Once cool, taste and adjust sweetness.
3. In a bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, spice, sweetener and baking soda and mix well. Add the eggs and mix until well combined. Fold in the completely cooled fruit mixture and spoon into a lined loaf tin.
4. Bake for 160c/325f for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. When Cake has cooled you can piece cake with a skewer and carefully pour over 1-2 tbsp rum so it soaks into the cake. Wrap in grease proof paper then foil to keep fresh.
Unsure of carbs but it is lower than conventional Christmas cake.