And for those of you who prefer a spicy Indian
LAMB ROGAN JOSH
• 400g/14oz of lamb shoulder, visible fat removed and chopped into chunks
• 2 tsp of ghee (or other oil of your choice) – (4 syns)
• 1 onion, quartered and then sliced thinly
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
• ½ tsp of turmeric
• 4 green cardamom pods
• 4 cloves
• 1 tsp of chilli powder (add more if you like it really spicy)
• 1 tsp of paprika
• 1 tsp of garam masala
• pinch of cinnamon
• 400g of fresh tomatoes (I used vine), skin removed and roughly chopped
• 1 level tablespoon of tomato paste
• ½ cup (120ml) of water
• salt and pepper to season
• freshly chopped Coriander
1 Add the ghee to a deep lidded frying pan over a medium high heat.
2 Add the onion and fry till golden and translucent.
3 Add the turmeric, garlic and ginger and fry for a further few mins.
4 Add in the lamb and all other spices and continue to fry for a couple of minutes until the lamb is coated in all the spices.
5 Add the fresh chopped tomatoes, including the juices and the tomato paste, reduce heat , cover with a lid and simmer for approx 30 mins, until lamb is tender and tomatoes have broken down to a smooth sauce. If it gets too dry just add a little water at a time.
6 Season as needed with salt and black pepper and serve topped with freshly chopped coriander.
7 Optional – mint yoghurt on the side (just mixed some fat free plain yoghurt with mint and the juice of half a lemon)