It’s Friday night and it’s Fakeaway night. This week going Indian with tandoori chicken – a classic.
Tandoori chicken or Tandoori Murgh – an iconic restaurant style smoky grilled chicken dish, that is authentic, easy and best! Perfect for party or gatherings. Here is how to make tandoori chicken recipe on gas stove, Instant Pot, airfryer, oven, and tandoor.
To prepare tandoori chicken
• 2-4 Chicken legs de-skinned and trim fat. There is enough marinade for up to this number of legs.
For a first marinade
• 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
• 2-3 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder ( I have added 1 tablespoon)
• 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
• Salt to taste
For a second marinade
• 300 grams Greek yogurt or hung curd
• 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
• 2-3 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
• 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
• 3/4 teaspoon Black Salt or regular salt
• 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
• ½ cup Mustard oil
• Red food colour (optional) I do not use this as some red food colourings aggravate my epilepsy so I don’t use them at all.
For Instant Pot version Tandoori chicken
• 1 cup Water
Preparation of Tandoori Chicken
• Make cuts on the chicken using a sharp knife. This will help the marinade to penetrate well in the chicken
• In a bowl, mix all the ingredients of first marinade. (ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri red chili powder, lemon juice and salt)
• Add chicken and rub in the marinade well
• Cover the bowl with a plastic cover and leave it for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
• In another bowl, add all the ingredients of second marinade and mix well. (yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, black salt, cumin powder, mustard oil)
• After a first marination is done, transfer the chicken to a zip lock bag add the second marinade and refrigerate for 7-8 hours or overnight.
• Cook it to your chosen method. The pictures show mine done with the crisp lid.
To bake tandoori chicken in oven
• Pre-heat the oven at 220 degrees centigrade. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on a baking tray or a rack.
• Broil the chicken for 25-30 minutes or till done. Tandoori Chicken is ready to serve.
To make tandoori chicken on gas stove
• First, heat the pan, and place the chicken on it.
• Then cover and cook until done, do flip it once in between.
• Grease the grill with oil so that the chicken does not stick over the grill. Place the chicken pieces upon the grill and turn the flame to medium high.
• Grill from both the sides until aromatic. Tandoori chicken is ready to serve.
Tandoori Chicken in airfryer/crisp lid
• Arrange the marinated chicken in the basket and airfry it 25 minutes or until charred. (you can flip the chicken once in between).
• First, pre-heat the airfryer at 200 degrees. Then, brush the airfryer basket with little oil or butter.
To make tandoori chicken in instant pot or mealthy multipot
• Add 1 cup of water in the inner pot of the IP. Then, place the trivet in the pot. Place the marinated chicken on the trivet.
• Close the IP with lid, put the valve to sealing position and then pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
• Once the IP beeps, turn the valve to vent and quickly release the pressure and open the pot.
• Carefully dish out the chicken using tongs, sprinkle some chaat masala and serve.
• For crispier chicken, you can follow the either way.
a) arrange them on the tray and pop it in pre-heated oven and broil for fo 7-8 minutes, until charred.
b) Use Mealthy crisp lid to make them more crisp and delicious.
Crisping the tandoori chicken using Mealthy crisp lid
• Unplug the IP and plug the mealthy crisp lid, place it on the inner pot of IP. You need to lower the handle of the crisp lid. Now, set the temperature to 200 degrees.
• Cook the chicken for 12 minutes. (As I love the crispier chicken, I cooked it for couple of more minutes extra)
• You can flip the chicken once in between – first cook for 5-6 minutes on one side. Then, flip and cook for another 5-6 minutes on the other side.