I love southern fried chicken, not the KFC version which I find slimy. In this recipe you can use either coconut or almond flour, I prefer almond Flour as it is not so flavour dominant. I also use the fine Flour in preference to almond meal but you can use meal if you want or prefer.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
500g/1 pound chicken leg quarters (2 whole legs approx)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
50g/1/2 cup coconut or almond flour, you may need a little more depending on size of chicken portions.
oil for frying
1. In a large bowl combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
2. Using your hands, massage the spices into the chicken and be sure it’s well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Add the coconut flour to the seasoned chicken and toss well to coat.
4. Heat oil about 2 inches deep in a large heavy bottomed pan (cast iron is ideal or a wok or use a deep fryer if you have one) to 190c/375f
5. Add chicken in batches. Don’t overcrowd the pan or it won’t get crisp. Cook for about 8 minutes per side, or until a rich, golden brown.
6. Keep chicken warm in the oven set at 160c/320f
7. Test with a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees. If you don’t have one, cut into a piece and make sure the meat isn’t pink and the juices run clear before serving.
8. Serve with vegetable fries or fried cabbage.
Approx nutrition info per serving: