Carrot cake is an all time favourite and this one is quick and easy to make. You can make it as a loaf, as the recipe says, I made mine in a ring mould and it only took 25 minutes to cook. The serving size is smaller too so that will lower the carbs per serve.
PALEO CARROT CAKE
56g/1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon*
1/4 tsp nutmeg*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking soda
52g/1/4 cup melted coconut oil/ butter
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey**
6-7 drops liquid stevia
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 cup grated carrots
Adjust the spices to suit your taste, I like a good hit of spice so I used more.
200g cream cheese
6-10 drops lemon Stevia, depending on how sweet you want it
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp chopped walnuts, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f
2. Line or grease an 8 inch loaf tin and set aside for later.
3. In a large bowl mix together the coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.
4. Add the eggs, melted coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, Stevia and lemon juice and beat until smooth.
5. Mix in the grated carrots, lemon zest and fresh ginger until completely combined.
6. Spoon the batter into the greased/lined loaf tin. It will be a thick batter so you may need to smooth the batter down so that it’s even on all sides.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.
8. Cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting
1. Beat together all ingredients
2. Allow to sit for 15 mins, to allow zest to flavour cheese
3. Roughly spread over cake so it is textured
4. Sprinkle over chopped walnuts
Store cake in the fridge
*you could use 3/4 tsp of mixed spice if you have not got the individual spices.
**if you want to cut back on the carbs you could replace the maple/honey with more Stevia but add 1 tbsp extra coconut oil/ butter
Net carbs, 5g