A great thing at Christmas is the cheese board. All the cheeses that you’ve been wanting to try but haven’t and all your favourites. But you need a decent cracker and ones you buy are too high in carb, fat head ones ore ok but don’t quite make the grade. These are simple to make, taste great and have the right amount of snap.
CRACKERS FOR CHEESE AND PATE
• 1 egg, beaten
• 90g/3oz ground almonds
• 1 tsp mixed herbs (or whichever herbs you choose)
• Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 160c fan OR 180c without/320f fan or 350f without.
2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
3. Combine ingredients until they begin to come together then continue to mix by hand until the dough loses its stickiness.
4. Roll out between two sheets of non-stick paper to 1/4cm/<1/4inch
5. Prick a few times with a fork.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes (the longer they are in the crunchier they will be)
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack. (Cheese ones pictured)
For salt and black pepper biscuits omit herbs and sprinkle crackers with salt flakes and ground black pepper before putting in the oven
For cheese biscuits omit herbs add 50g Parmesan and 1/4 tsp mustard powder.
For tomato and basil add an extra 20g ground almonds, replace mixed herbs with dried basil, add 1 tbsp unsweetened tomato paste
per biscuit, makes 9
Plain – 0.7g carbs
Salt and black pepper – 0.7g carbs
Parmesan – 0.7g carbs
Tomato and Basil – 1.1g carbs